Friday, January 15, 2010

Wasteful horror movies....

Horror films, slasher pics, spatter fests, call ‘em what you will, they’ve always left me a bit cold. Call me a stick in the mud, but if I’m going to spend ten dollars of my hard-earned money on a movie ticket, it ain’t gonna be for Saw 70: At This Point We’re Just Going Through the Motions. Sitting in an overly air-conditioned movie theater, watching some schmuck getting skinned alive with a chainsaw while beings dipped headfirst in a vat of battery acid by a squad of drug-crazed demon-worshiping mutant cultists doesn’t really strike me as all that scary… just somewhat nauseating. But more than anything else, it’s just wasteful.

The thought occurred to me a few years back, when I was on a first date and the lady in question wanted to see House of Wax. Needless to say there wasn’t a second date…but as I was sitting there watching Paris Hilton being chopped to pieces (I’ll avoid any snarky comments…feel free to post your own though….) I realized what was so objectionable about that kind of flick. Every horror movie ever made has been filled with the latest Pretty Young Things on offer from Hollywood, whose ultimate fate is to be ground into hamburger. Pretty girls in tight clothes (and the obligatory handsome guy going about without his shirt on) being chopped by the psycho/demon/cannibal/etc. Why is it that no one ugly or even average looking gets eviscerated? It just seems a waste of hotness…like some weird consumerist fetish, who gets to run out of pretty faces first….

Or maybe I’m just getting frugal and grouchy in my old age. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment